With spring just starting, spring cleaning is likely on your mind. Spring cleaning often involves more than just cleaning and includes decluttering as well as other small home improvement projects. It is common if you are doing a serious spring cleaning to include having a garage sale. A garage sale will allow you to purge excess household items while cleaning up your house at the same time.
If you are planning a garage sale, here are some tips to help you get organized so you can maximize the time you invest to purge as many items as you can while making some extra money.
- Go through each room in your home and select the items you want to get rid of. Discard anything that is broken, stained or has no value. You should sort through clothes, shoes, household goods, tools, outdoor items and toys.
- Organize the items so they can be easily displayed at the garage sale.
- Price the items so people know what you expect to get. At a garage sale, your prices shouldn’t be set in stone but having a suggested price to start with is a good way to begin negotiations.
- Advertise your garage sale in the newspaper. Many local newspapers offer a garage sale section each week to promote garage sales.
- Post your garage sale for free on a variety of websites including Craigslist, Facebook and others.
- Have a way to display your items for sale. Clothes hanging on racks and small items on tables are much easier ways to look at things and will get more attention than a pile of things on the ground.
- Place directional signs with balloons at the entrance to your neighborhood and at the necessary turns to your home. If people can’t find your home, your garage sale won’t be successful. For the first customers, it may still be dark outside so anything you can do to make it easier for people to find your home is helpful.
- Make arrangements in advance for a local organization to pick up anything extra you don’t sell and take it away. Many non-profit organizations will accept your unsold items as a donation and sell the items to support their organization or give them to people in need. As an added benefit, you may be able to claim a tax deduction on any items you donate.
If you are trying to clean out your home so that you can list it for sale, contact me at 817-690-0976 and let’s talk about some things you can do to so your garage sale and spring cleaning help get your home ready for the market.
Realty World Professionals
Image courtesy of tmag/pixabay.com